- WHAT is sqlcockpit? sqlcockpit is a fast, free and open source SQL
client supporting most RDBMS, running both on Windows and Unix / Linux systems.
You can browse the database structure (tables/columns/metadata), edit and
run SQL-queries, add and edit table-data, etc. It has some pretty add-ons,
like a plotting-tool where you can visualize your query results directly and
a very powerful data-filtering / search system. It can read and write csv,
plain text and Excel files (windows and an installed excel are required for
the last), or open datasets in StarOffice. More
- Is there still some work going on? Yes, but I have not enough time
to make frequent releases. So if you want to stay tuned, please have a look
in the CVS tree of sqlcockpit. Use the anonymous checkout feature documented
- How to contact the author? You can either contact me via firstname.lastname@example.org
or via email@example.com.
If any one wants to get involved or has some good tips or even feature requests,
please contact me on the same adress.
- After running the installer script, sqlcockpit fails to start! What can
I do? Please READ this
- *nix systems: Why can I start sqlcockpit only from sqlcockpit's installation
path? This is a bug, right! At least, this is a bad feature in *nix environments.
A solution would be to write a small shell script(a
very simple example), which cd's to sqlcockpit's root dir, then runs sqlcockpit..
Install this script in a path where your shell is looking for binaries (e.g.
/usr/local/bin or /usr/bin). I thought about a different directory structure
for *nix environments, but this would make the programm much less portable
between different operating systems. I just do not have the time to deal with
all of them...
- I can't find my database in the 'Database' menü! How can I
access database <xyz>? Probably, you just forgot to install the appropriate
drivers. Imagine you want to access a mysql database. Install a mysql driver
(native or ODCB), then install the perl module DBD::ODBC or DBD::mysql. If
you use ODBC, configure your ODBC database. Most RDBMS are supported! Klick
the link for a complete list
of supported databases engines. If you have LWP::Simple, click Database->Options
and enjoy the auto-installer.
- Is there a LICENCE? You do not have to pay for sqlcockpit's source
distribution, but it is still covered by the GPL-licence.
This means that you can copy sqlcockpit as much as you want, but there is
NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND! This means also that you must give others the complete
source-code (even if you have modified it!), and all the rights you got with
- How can I SUPPORT the project by means of money? You can support
the project by bying new features.
Of course, you can support sqlcockpit directly with
money, too. By now I already spent thousands of hours on the project for nothing,
and some money would give new motivations. But anyway: Please help
the poor first.
- Can I support the project without money? Of course! Give feedback
as much as you can. Tell me what's good, what's bad, what's missing, and so
on. That is not much if you get everything else for free!.
- Is there a binary distribution? No, not yet, sorry. The programming
language of sqlcockpit is perl, and perl is an interpreted language. There
are tools to make something like exe-files, but there are still too many unsolved
problems. By now, I gave the idea of a binary distribution. The only advantage
would be a much easier installation..
Now all that said, download
sqlcockpit and have fun!